Monday, October 25, 2010

Final Project


I. Introduction
As a health and wellness professional it is important to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because it helps to foster a more holistic experience when administering health care and it also provides a positive avenue for personal integral health to regulate your own stresses as a provider. It is important to develop psychologically because it will help in keeping an open mind and seeing each patient as an individual. Knowledge and confidence is power in this aspect and without it, one cannot effectively deliver a health plan to an individual if these concepts are not upheld. Spiritual development is vital in an emotional sense of understanding, empathizing, and accepting cultural diversity with your patients. Having the strength, willpower, and understanding to not let one’s personal decisions affect your personal biases and professional opinions again helps to deliver more effective care to the patient. Physical development is important in the sense that you need to present yourself positively and be able to keep up with the everyday demands of your job in a physical sense. If one cannot portray the elements one associates with a health and wellness professional then again the chance for effective care is compromised as well as your personal health.
In aspiring to become a personal trainer and certified exercise specialist I feel my biggest area that I will need to develop in is psychological. Being new to the field and the concept of administering a program to an individual, group, or team will present challenges that I may not foresee or can plan for at the moment. I will need to be able to accept criticism, be humble, and be open to the concepts and ideas of the company and individuals for which I end up working for. I will also need to be sensitive to the needs and focus of the individual, group, or team in which I may be providing for.
II. Assessment
            I feel I have had a pretty decent grasp on my health in each domain for my current goals that I am pursuing in my life. Right now my main focus is to complete my degree so a lot of time has been invested in my spiritual, physical, and psychological health to help me to obtain this goal as well as meet the demands of having a family. Since, I have been working at this goal for the past 2 years and am in the final stretch to reaching my goal there has been little need for adjustment to the current plan I have working for me, as it has obviously been successful. Time and stress management have been the biggest contributors for my success and both of those fall under the psychological domain. I have had the support from my family, personal motivation, and self esteem to keep me going, which falls under spiritual and maintaining my personal health by taking care of any issues so it does not hinder my overall health and ability to complete my required everyday tasks and knowing my limitations falls under the physical domain. Having been able to invest time into these areas has definitely helped me to maintain and improve upon them as required.
III. Goal development
Physical- to be fit for (military) duty by the required six-month window after delivery of my baby in January.
 Psychological (mental health)- to prepare for the upcoming change and challenges in family status and adjust to the changing demands of being a mom of two.
Spiritual- find an activity that I can participate in with my family that everyone enjoys to do and looks forward to doing once a month.

IV. Practices for personal health
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical- I feel one cannot pursue physical health in they are not engaging in an activity at which they enjoy. I intend to join a cardio kickboxing group exercise class as well as support an activity that my child shows interest in such as soccer or baseball and play that with him.
Psychological- Doing an activity to be involved in the community has been an interest of mine so volunteering at a local YMCA/Boys and Girls Club has been an interest of mine as well as volunteering at a local animal shelter I feel will foster some psychological growth for myself.
Spiritual- Music has always been an emotional outlet for me either by listening or playing it. I have recently found information about a local symphony and hope to join them sometime within the next year. I also wish to do some more traveling and visit family more often as I feel it is an essential part of personal wholeness and happiness to be able to interact with them.
V. Commitment
            I will be able to assess my progress through keeping a fitness journal with my personal trainer at the gym as well as being able to meet the physical fitness requirements I am required to keep being in the Navy Reserve. Having to maintain these standards helps me to maintain my personal and physical health, as the consequences of not keeping up with them are motivation enough to keep within standards. We are tested every six months so personal growth can be monitored this way too by monitoring my run times and completion of sit up and push ups.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Dana - it sounds like you will do well with your degree from Kaplan. You seem to be very confident in your integral health. I wish you much happiness as you anticipate the arrival of your newest family member. I liked reading your final project. Being in the military you are very in tune to being physically fit (or else. . .). Most of us do not have that structure in our lives so we have to dig deep for the self-discipline to work at our physical fitness level. I wish you much happiness and success in your personal and professional endeavors.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Dana!! I agree with Barbara, you certainly have a firm grasp on practicing Integral Health. I also believe the psychological aspect of calm abiding will come in handy in the military :) Barbara mentioned the benefits of structure in your career. It is positive, however as a structured person myself, I am aware that structure of this kind can sometimes create stress to keep it that way. I am sure you already know about the stress of schedules, and perfection.

    I wish you only the best of health in mind, body and your spirit!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. My my my ! how we have grown in a 10 week time period. Imagine how much growth will be accomplished when you access yourself in a six month time period. I agree with everyone else you wlll do great . Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I know as a matter of fact you leave this course knowing and having achieved the skills for creating wellness for yourself and your family. Good Luck and God Bless!

    Sharen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    Good luck, you are going to do a great job as a personal trainer. It sounds like you have a great grasp on what your goals are and what it is going to take for you to get there. I wish you much luck and success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your positive feedback it means alot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you Dana that knowledge, confidence and a positive attitude are important tools in delivering and effective integral health plan to any individual. Patients want to feel that they can depend on the healer and the healer understands them as unique individuals; they can offer them a unique approach to healing them and foster growth in all areas of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana,
    I love the idea of keeping a fitness journal and think I will try it myself. I understand how important it is to keep fit and having regular PT testing is a great (mandatory) incentive. I have two kids in the military and have spent a lot of time at the track timing runs (2-2-2)- I would also like to take this time to thank you for your service to this country, I know I enjoy my freedom- thank you!
    Cheryl
    “Today is the first day of the rest of your life” (American Proverb).

    ReplyDelete